3 Good Reasons to Tell Your Story #Mentalhealthawarenessmonth


When I was first baker acted (hospitalized against my will), I wanted to keep it a secret. I was hospitalized and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Counselors with master degree's said I was crazy, and I would never find a job.

I wrote my first book but I dared not to write it as a true story. I wrote my first book as a fiction inspired by my true story entitled, "Don't call me crazy! I'm just in love."

Later I received courage to tell my story. I needed medication. And it took me a lot to walk into a doctors office. To me, taking medication meant I had a problem.

A pharmacist saw that I was in distress and ran up to me, sat down, and held my hand. He said I was beautiful. It's ok to take medication. Many take medication for heart problems, high blood pressure, etc. He said take your medication and you'll be fine.

After that day I received courage to tell my story. I began speaking everywhere. Churches, events, parks, and even on TV. 

I was awarded as a Baynews9 Everyday hero seen by two million viewers for telling my story and teaching others how to heal from their mental illness.

1. One reason why it's important to tell your story is that it can touch so many people. Many feel they are all alone and there is no help for them. Healing from mental illness requires work, yes, but it can be done.

2. Writing your story can also be very therapeutic. Seeing those words on your paper and knowing those same words can help others one day is very rewarding. Also keeping a journal of your conditions can be very helpful for many different mental illnesses.

3. Also writing your story is a good idea; if people can hear you they can help you. If others know you need help they are more willing to open up about what they went through and how they were helped.

Swiyyah Woodard is a 4 time published author. She has obtained a BA in Psychology. She has been baker acted for more than 10 times. After being hospitalized she felt inspired to write her first book, "Don't call me crazy! I'm just in love," inspired by her true story. Learn more about schizophrenia, what it's like to break down, and what it's like to heal. Read today.

Read the entire series: "Don't call me crazy! I'm just in love" (Fiction Inspired by Swiyyah's story)," "Don't call me crazy! Again," (Fiction inspired by Swiyyah's story part 2) and Let's Be Inspired: Undefeated Despite Schizophrenia" (Swiyyah's Memoir.)

"Don't Call Me Crazy! I'm Just in Love with God 2nd Edition" More content. Updated edit.

Talking With Myself Diary/Journal by Halimah Kencler






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Schizophrenia Awareness Day

5 things you can do to get mentally healthy

3 Signs of a possible future baker act (hospitalized against your will).